NATO Strategic Communications Centre of Excellence is looking for a senior expert to join the Education and Training Branch (for a specified period – 1.5 years).
The NATO StratCom COE, based in Riga, Latvia, contributes to improved strategic communications capabilities within the Alliance and Allied nations. Strategic communication is an integral part of the efforts to achieve the Alliance’s political and military objectives, thus it is increasingly important that the Alliance communicates in an appropriate, timely, accurate and responsive manner on its evolving roles, objectives and missions.
Mission of the Centre is to provide a tangible contribution to the strategic communications capabilities of NATO, NATO allies and NATO partners. Our strength is built by multinational and cross-sector participants from the civilian and military, private and academic sectors and usage of modern technologies, virtual tools for analyses, research and decision making.
The heart of the NATO StratCom COE is a diverse group of international experts with military, government and academic backgrounds - trainers, educators, analysts and researchers.
We invite you to join our team as we are looking for a senior expert for a specified period - 1.5 years.
- Plans and conducts training and education assignments and projects.
- Manages and plans project timelines and budgets.
- Provides expertise on government-wide Strategic Communications capability building and implementation of StratCom approach in resilience building.
- Provides expertise on Strategic Communications policy development at NATO.
- Provides expertise on StratCom related academic research and policy developments in other International Organizations (e.g. EU, UN).
- Supports the delivery of Centre’s courses and seminars.
- Experience in conducting research projects on an international level.
- Excellent presentation skills, education and training experience in national and multinational environments.
- Project management skills.
- Experience in working in multinational environment.
- In-depth knowledge of NATO.
- Senior Expert has to be a qualified and experienced programme manager, including administrative, financial, and human resource management aspects.
- Senior Expert has to possess experience working in and/or leading teams in a multinational environment.
- A post-graduate Degree in Social Sciences (International Affairs, Politics, Security Studies or related).
- PC operating skills, including the competent use of Microsoft Office. Knowledge of other operating systems and software products is an advantage.
- Competent use of software for presentations, spreadsheets and databases.
Language (Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing):
- English: C1 or C2 (NOTE: The work both oral and written in this post and in the organization as a whole is conducted mainly in English).
- Requirement to work outside normal office hours while preparing and conducting major events
- Requirement to travel as part of the appointment
- High Ethical Standards
- Leading and Supervising
- Persuading and Influencing
- Presenting and Communicating Information
- Critical Thinking
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts
Salary level: 1600 - 4600 EUR GROSS.
Appointment will be subject to receipt of a security clearance provided by the national Authorities of the selected candidate.
As part of this application, candidates are kindly requested to send by email - to info [at] stratcomcoe [dot] org - CV and an application letter summarising their views on the key challenges in Strategic Communications and how they would address them if selected for the position. Essays should be limited to maximum two A4 pages (800 words per page).
Candidates are requested to send their essay by latest 23 July 2019, 23h59 CEST.
NATO StratCom COE as an employer values diverse backgrounds and perspectives and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and talented workforce. NATO StratCom COE welcomes applications of nationals from all Member States and strongly encourages women to apply.
As an employer, we value commitment to the principles of integrity, transparency and accountability in accordance with international norms and practices established for the defence and related security sector. Selected candidates are expected to be role models of integrity, and to promote good governance through ongoing efforts in their work.
- Applicants must at least have a bachelor's degree at the start of the internship with at least one degree in a discipline related to the relevant areas: communication, strategic communications, defence, security studies or similar.
- Must have strong oral and written English communications skills, and be able to work effectively and build relationships with others.
- Must have good organization and planning skills, and be able to demonstrate effective project coordination, facilitation, and implementation based on past work or school experiences.
- Must possess deductive reasoning skills and be able to analyze and synthesize information for problem solving.
- Excellent English writing and speaking skills (English Level C). Other language skills will be considered a plus.
- We especially encourage applicants with skills in data science or statistics.
General intership description:
- Internships are unpaid, but offer an ideal opportunity to acquire substantive professional experience for those interested in the work conducted by the NATO StratCom COE. All the expenses connected with internship or fellowship shall be borne by student/researcher or his/her sponsoring Government or institution. However the NATO StratCom COE can choose to invite both students and researchers to apply for grant announced for certain projects, which are of high importance for the NATO StratCom COE. The amounts and distribution of grants shall be specified taking into consideration availability of budget funding, period of performance and level of expertise required.
- Housing is not provided. However, we may be able to assist you in finding an affordable place to live.
- Though internships usually start in September or January, we sometimes take interns on an ad-hoc basis, so we encourage you to send your CV (linda [dot] curika [at] stratcomcoe [dot] org).
- We maintain a candidate database, so if you are interested, send us your CV with a note that you would like to be informed if new opportunities come in.
Aim: to access the latest theoretical and technical knowledge that students and researchers may have and can apply through practical work assignments at the NATO StratCom COE.
Cooperation with higher educational establishments: Within the framework of cooperation between the NATO StratCom COE and respective higher educational establishment it can be agreed to host internships and fellowships at the NATO StratCom COE.
Enrolment and duration: Applications shall be submitted not earlier than 6 months and not later than 2 months prior to the internship or fellowship period. Together with their application, all candidates should also submit a short essay (150 - 250 words) outlining their motivation. The CV of a candidate should be attached to the application. All documents must be prepared in English. Duration of the Internship and fellowship can be from 1 month up to 12 months with starting periods at 1 September or 1 January. Exceptions are allowed only when the NATO StratCom COE announce grants for certain projects or internship/fellowship is provided as part of cooperation between the NATO StratCom COE and respective higher educational establishment.
Legal arrangements: Acceptance Statement shall be signed by respective student / researcher accepting terms and conditions of their internship/fellowship. Standard procedures for security check will be implemented for all applicants admitted.
PhD students and young researchers wishing to exted their research in the field of Strategic Communications, are encouraged to contact us regards fellowship opportunities. CV and a motivation statement including a section on how a stay at the COE would fit in your research plans should be included. All documents must be prepared in English.
* Please be informed that the personal data indicated in applicant's emails (for example, name and surname, email address, home address, other data) will be processed to ensure the selection of personnel for the requested position of the NATO StratCom COE. By sending us the application specifying personal data, applicant agrees that all information provided will be used only for the position specified for the assessment of candidacy and for ensuring communication process. Unless the applicant withdraws the application, NATO StratCom COE will retain personal data as long as it is necessary for the purpose of its collection.